Monday, September 15, 2008

Obscure song of the day #1

The question is, what day? This time, it's Monday. I certainly won't be able to come up with one of these every day. I'm simply not that industrious. These will be coming whenever they come. Hopefully once a week at least, but no promises. Without any further ado:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Set the Ray to Jerry



Since this is the inaugural edition of OSOTD, I'll throw out one of my all-time favorites from the band that got me through high-school, The Smashing Pumpkins. This was the last of the B-sides on the single album for 1979, another of my all-time favorite songs ever. It was only available, as far as I am aware, by purchasing the The Aeroplane Flies High boxed set for like a million dollars. That boxed set included the five singles off of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on separate discs, and featured B-sides that weren't on the normal retail single albums you could buy separately. It was kind of a gyp for the price, which I remember being something like fifty bucks. Most of the songs were niche, fan-only kinds of things--like a weird, depressingly somber James Iha-sung cover of "A Night Like This" by the Cure--but a few were real gems. Set the Ray to Jerry was one of these.

No comments: